What Is Silent Call?
How many times has it happened that you receive a call and you say ‘Hello’, only to get a pin-drop silence from the other side? All you can do is keep repeating but still no response at all. This is what is called a silent call.
Types of Silent Calls
There are two types of silent calls. One, when you receive a call and there is no one on the other side of the phone call. This call usually comes from telemarketers who call various numbers at once and sometimes are not available for each call. There will be silence for a while and then it will disconnect.
The second type of silent calls come from frauds. So, you receive a call from an automated computer as soon as you pick up the phone, it starts collecting the information to confirm if it’s a working number.
How Does Silent Call work?
So now you might wonder, if there is no one on the other side, how does a silent call turn into a way for other people to scam or fool you? The call you receive is from an automated computer. When you pick up the call and keep saying ‘Hello’ repeatedly to get a reply, the computer gathers information about your number. It confirms through the noise you make, that the number is active. Even a slight sound from your side is enough to confirm that. Once, it is confirmed that your number is active, your number is sold to criminals and frauds who then send you text messages or call you to get your personal information.
Silent calls can lead to identity theft and the hacking of your bank account details.
So, Here’s What To Do If You Receive Silent Call
- If you get a call from an unknown number, don’t pick up and if you do pick up wait for the caller to say something. If there is silence, just hang up without making any sound.
- When you get a call from an unknown number, let it ring until it stops ringing. Then try to call it from a different number, if it’s a genuine call someone will pick up and if it’s a fraudulent call then it will tell you that the number doesn’t exist or is not active.
- Block the number if you are being called repeatedly.
- Register your number on the ‘Do Not Disturb’ Registry.
- If you receive a call asking you to push some buttons either to terminate the call or take it further. Do not do either. No matter which button you press, it’s a way for the robot callers to know that your number is active. Don’t press any button and hang up without saying a word.
- Put your phone into ‘Do Not Disturb’ mode. This mode is available for both Android and Apple devices. This mode only allows your contacts to call you, therefore you won’t receive any spam call or unknown calls.
This is everything you need to know about a silent call. If you get one, you know what to do and how to save yourself from being a victim to these unwanted scam calls.